Monday, May 6, 2013

Forget-me-nots May



Please ignore the man behind the curtain!  Yes I know there is a big dandelion in the first picture.  The yard was not quite cleaned up, and I found this clump of white Forget-me-nots outside the fence in an area where there should have been none.  I actually have a light lavender shade in the yard as well.
We used to have these in Houlton, Maine as well.  It was another case of being very grateful for the flowers we had in that cold climate.  They would form great drifts of light blue, white and pink flowers all around the back of the property.  The grass did not get cut at all in those areas, till the seed had fallen.  They are not very attractive after bloom, but we lived with it to make sure we had plenty of this blue.
I could not get them to take hold in the yard by seed.  I tried year after year without luck.  as soon as I put a couple of nursery plants in, they took off.  I had the local garden club come by and take tray after tray of the plants for their sale next week.  They had completely filled in the area where I planned a pathway, so it was better that they have them than just ripping them out.  I am so busy this year, they would never have been transplanted. 


They are just going to seed as june approaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment