Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Lilac May

 when i was in Maine, I worked occasionally in the Summer as a Blacksmith at King's Landing, New Brunswick, as a museum curator and on occasion helping out when there was a shortage of help at the Olsen House in Cushing Maine.  the Olsen house was the house in the Painting:  Christina's World, by Andrew Wyeth.  One day, while waiting for a ride home, I dug a couple of sprouts out of the gravel driveway at that house.  the result was these wonderful white Lilacs.  I am afraid that the light was not strong when I took these photos, and all are a bit back lit.

 These photos are Lilac: 'Krasavitsa Moskvy'  or Pride of or Beauty of Moscow.  The pictures do not do it justice.  It is basically a white lilac, but it has a flush of orchid pink. 

We have a purple lilac, but I cannot tell if it is on my side of the boundary or the neighbor's.  I wish I could get a baby from Grammie's lilacs but if not, my next lilac will be Mr. Lincoln...very dark purple.  Shelbourne Museum in Burlington has a large display of lilacs.  They were among the most loved and widespread of plants in 18th and 19th century American yards, and very hardy in the coldest regions.


No comments:

Post a Comment